The Parish Council

The Council consists of 7 councillors elected by residents of the village every four years, starting in 2011. The Parish Council exists to look after the interests of the community and aims to ensure that the village is, and remains a place in which we like to live.

Paul Bromley (Chairman)

Please contact the Clerk in the first instance should you wish to contact Paul Bromley.

Alan Stanley (Vice Chairman)

6 Squires Croft, Kings Clipstone, NG21 9BX

Tel: 01623 823253

Michelle Bradley

Waterfield Farm, Mansfield Road, Kings Clipstone, NG21 9BJ

Tel: 01623 823559

Alice Dunn

Village Hall, Mansfield Road, Edwinstowe, NG21 9NJ

Tel: 01623 824243

Catherine Hunt

29 Squires Croft, Kings Clipstone, NG21 9BX

Tel: 01623 824114

Luke Shaw-Browne

Clipstone Park Farms, Squires Lane, Kings Clipstone, NG21 9BP

Tel: 07731 653609

Frances Ford (Clerk)

Councillors Declaration of Interest

The declaration of interests for each Councillor can be viewed on the link below.

pdf link  Councillor Declaration of Interest
pdf link  Councillor Paul Bromley Declaration of Interest

The Councillor's Main Purpose

Representing the views of all residents within your parish.

Their Secondary Purpose

  • As part of a local council they have responsibility for running local services which may include: open spaces, play areas, village halls, community car schemes and potentially much more.
  • Deciding on how much to raise through the council tax in order to deliver your council's services.
  • Influencing and shaping the long-term development policy for the parish, and as part of the planning process, comment on planning applications in the parish.
  • Improving the quality of life and the environment in the local area.
  • Identify issues which are important to the lives of the residents they represent.
  • Bringing about improvements through local projects, lobbying other service providers and working in partnership with other parishes and agencies.

Parishes Can Do The Following

Parish councils have powers to provide some facilities themselves, or they can contribute towards their provision by others. There are large variations in the services provided by parishes, but they can include the following:

  • Allotments
  • Support and encouragement of arts and crafts
  • Provision of village halls
  • Recreation grounds, parks, children’s play areas, playing fields and swimming baths
  • Cemeteries and crematoria
  • Maintenance of closed churchyards
  • Cleaning and drainage of ponds etc.
  • Control of litter
  • Public conveniences
  • Creation and maintenance of footpaths and bridleways
  • Provision of cycle and motorcycle parking
  • Acquisition and maintenance of rights of way
  • Public clocks
  • War memorials
  • Encouragement of tourism

They may also provide the following subject to the consent of the County Council.

  • Bus shelters
  • Signposting of footpaths

General Expenditure Power

In any situation not covered by one of the specific powers described above a council may spend money on any purpose which in its opinion is of direct benefit to its area or to the inhabitants. The total expenditure by the council on all the cases under this general power was £6.15 per elector in 2010/11. The amount is updated annually in line with inflation.

Filling a Vacancy on the Council

The following information is provided by the Nottinghamshire Association of Local Councils.

Casual vacancies occur during a four year term of office when a councillor either resigns or is removed from office. It should not be confused with an 'insufficiency of candidates', which may occur after an election.

When the casual vacancy becomes known, the Clerk should, within a reasonable time, write to the returning officer at the district/borough council, alerting him/her to the casual vacancy. The clerk should at the same time place a notice in the usual village notice board, informing electors of the vacancy and stating that if any electors wish to call for an election they should contact the returning officer (give the correct contact details). Also give the time limit electors have to claim a poll - 14 days, excluding Saturdays, Sundays, public and bank holidays (yes, Saturdays are included in this time limit). If ten electors or more call for a poll, the returning officer will conduct the poll.

If not, then the parish council can co-opt, and there is no set procedure for this. A wise parish council will co-opt carefully, and ensure that it cannot be accused of nepotism. Our advice is to put a notice up inviting interested people to apply, but if there are no applicants, then the council will need to consider if it can invite someone who has shown interest in village affairs, or perhaps who has skills which might be helpful to the parish council. Once the person has agreed they must sign a Declaration of Acceptance of Office, and thenceforth they are a parish councillor and will remain so until the next ordinary elections, unless they resign in the meantime.

A council does not need to fill a casual vacancy if you are within 6 months of an upcoming ordinary election.

Parish Council Pages


Tel: 07935 080 813